Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Identity Reloaded



*This is a post from my old blog that I'm expanding on.

I’m Mexican.

That isn't difficult to see but it took me a while to get to the point where I was happy saying it. My features are very much Latina and as a child I wasn't comfortable with that. I went to a mostly white elementary school and at an age where you want to fit in, that made it difficult.

My first language is Spanish but when I entered kindergarten, it was quickly forgotten. Now my strong language is English and I struggle with my Spanish. There were times where I wanted to know why I looked different than the other kids or why there were not more people who looked like me. It wasn't until I grew up that I realized why I felt that way.

Over time it gradually became more diverse. In junior high, I was excited that I met a group of friends that were like me and had similar experiences. They had parents with backgrounds similar to mine and celebrated things in a way my family always did.

In high school, I noticed that I gravitated towards similar people because I was most comfortable around them. I began to feel proud of my ancestry and where I came from. But it wasn't until this year that I realized how big of an issue I had with my ethnicity. I can’t believe it took me so long to accept something I’m so happy to be part of now.

When I started blogging, I knew that I wanted to make it known that I was happy with who I was, I mean, this is my blog after all. I would love to see more people like me on here and be successful. I've seen some but I wish there were more.

I had an idea of where this was going but it might have changed half way through, if you could tell? I just liked this old post.  


                                                                Twitter Instagram Tumblr Pinterest Bloglovin'

1 comment:

  1. From one Latina to another the struggle is hard I don't look hispanic at all. The whole identity struggles can be tough I plan on being successful it's just going to take some time! Stick with it!!

    xo, Jessica || The Petite Diaries

    ReplyDelete